Tuesday, August 14, 2012

August 6, 2012 letter

"dinosaurs and the bible. The creation- why it matters" < a lecture at one of the local churches

 
hello hello everyone!
first things first before I forget, because a couple people have asked- my new address is :
 
so you should all write me a letter and send it to that address so I will get flooded for mail for my ONE YEAR MARK... which just happens to be this friday. where did the last year go? I dont know. I was reflecting on what I was doing a year ago and I was such a nervous nellie about to go on the greatest adventure of my life. I cant believe its been a year already!
 
So here is the rundown of the new area/companion and a couple stories.
I got to spend wendesday (transfer day) with sister horan (who was my trainer that just went home) while waiting for my new companion to come in from niceville. I LOVED spending the day with her. we had so much fun, she showed me around campus placed her last book of mormon on her mission and talked to alot of great people. We had alot of fun reminicing about the good old days of Troy when I had just arrived in the mission field and she was 6 months out. It was especially cool to see how much Ive grown in my teaching skills since those days. We contacted this one guy and when we walked away she was blown away at how much ive grown since our time as companions. I give the credit to God. It was alot of fun.
So then we went to the mission home and said bye and I got Sister Fullmer. She is a missionary that was adopted into the florida tallahassee mission from The Macon mission (so I killed both the macon sisters off.. for those of you that dont know missionary lingo that means I am their last companion)... yep thats right, im sending her home. Which is a big honor apparently because she calls herself the black widow. She has sent 6 missionaries home for various reasons... 2 by natural means and the other 4 premature. So its a big deal to get to kill the one that has killed so many. She is from American fork utah and is alot of fun. We moved into one of the worst missonary apartments but after helping some random strangers move OUT of the their apartment saturday and seeing how gross some people live, I have no complaints, ya just roll with the punches and love it! Who cares if we have mold everywhere and nasty bugs and our air conditioner freezes over... at least its clean and livable! haha. 
Campus has been a little dead because its finals week and it will probably be even more dead next week because everyone goes home but it doesnt really matter if there are only 5 people on campus, if you have a really good conversation with those 5 people... then your day is filled. So we dont really care that there arent the usual 40,000 people there normally are. Also its a little strange to be back in a singles ward after being in family wards for a year. ITS SO QUIET! I missed that about the singles wards, The spirit is so strong, which it always is in a family ward too, but its much easier to not listen to it when you are distracted by all the cute kids running around. 4 people bore their testimonies about eternal marriage yesterday, haha. welcome back to the singles ward! Also it will take some adjusting to get use to the fact that going to activities and institute and such is all part of the work in a singles ward. but the people are great. We have 3 investigators and one recent convert that the other sisters were working with, so we already have as many as I had in 1st ward. One is named alex, she is from korea and she is ready to be baptized she just hasnt gotten her parents approval yet, they are still really skeptical and shes only 17, so she cant do it until they say she can. She is SO nice those and great to teach. Then there is jamie and tien that we havent gotten to meet yet cause of their busy finals schedules. they were working with an awsome black guy named I-jah who is almost ready to be baptized also, but we passed him onto the elders to finish teaching. Karen is our recent convert and she is such a sweetheart! I love her to death and she loves being around missionaries. 
So for 3 days now we have just waundered around campus trying to orient ourselves and my feet have become weak from being in car areas haha. I guess anyones feet would hurt after 5 hours of walking but I think my feet hate me. People would stop and ask us where to go, and we dont really know how to explain things, so our brilliant contacting tactic is to just say "we cant explain it, but we can walk you there" then they have to talk to us for at least the ammount of time it takes to walk to wherever we are going. It has worked wonders. 
We also ended up walking 1/2 way across town with this guy because he was trying to get a wheel back on his bike so he could walk his bike to the bikeshop (the tire was flat and a little bent?) and he couldnt get it on and he said he couldnt carry them both so we offered to carry the tire for him and he could carry the frame. We taught him all about the book of mormon and talked about his beliefs for the half hour (+) that it took to get there. I like being on campus again, I feel more in my element, but better because I am alot better at striking up random conversation out of thin air with people than I was on Troy campus. We're not really sure what were going to do when all the students are gone for the next couple weeks but then we'll have a LOT to talk to once school starts.
Last awesome thing that happened...Sister Hirst said that my favorite less active Kathy Came to church yesterday!!!!! I feel like she is one of the people that I was sent to first ward to help and for the last 6 months I have seen such small steps of progress in her and it has been so great! I was so happy this morning when sis Hirst said she finally came back to church.
 
I am excited to see the ways I grow this transfer and what the lord has in store for me now. I love the gospel and I especially love seeing it change peoples lives.
 
Love you all!
Sister Webb

No comments: