Saturday, March 27, 2010

what I learned in Brazil

So for the last two weeks I have been in the wonderful country of Brazil. I went down for a service project and learned a lot about the country and their culture. I learned a lot about myself. Im not going to give you a day to day run down of what I did for two weeks, if you want that, we can talk in person and I will show you some awesome pictures. Instead I want to share with you some of the things I learned some funny, some a little more serious.


I learned that I can sleep anywhere, under a seat, on a plane, on a bus, in a car, in the cement, on the carpet, on tile. I can sleep sitting up or laying down.


I learned that Tam airlines is the bomb.com. They give you candy and water when you get on. Their snack is way better than peanuts, and if you are on a redeye flight… they give you a packet of things including socks, a toothbrush and paste, eat plugs, and a comb, and their blankets are way better than the cheap crappy ones delta gives you. Also they gladly give you seconds if you ask for them.

I learned that Brazillians don’t flush their toilet paper. That was weird to get use to.

I learned that in brazil, leisure time is just as important if not more so than work. It’s a good day if you get in 4 hours of working time. Also it shocked them how much we liked to work (they had no idea.. cause to us, we didn’t work at all)

I learned that Brazillians eat A LOT, and when I say a lot... that’s an understatement. I never once felt hungry. Ok that’s a lie… I felt hungry twice. In two weeks. We woke up and ate. Then a couple hours later had snack time. Then lunch, which sometimes lasted for hours. Then midday juice and crackers. Then dinner and finally a midnight snack before bed. Wake up and repeat.

I learned that its perfectly ok to have hotdogs for breakfast.

I learned that the preservatives in our food is what makes us Americans fat, because brazillians eat way more than we do, they just don’t eat the crap we eat.

I learned that chocolate on pizza is delicious

I learned that Brazillians don’t need much sleep. They go to bed late and wake up early.

I learned that all the hype about Rio being super dangerous is a lie. Its just like every other big city ive been to. I didn’t feel any more unsafe than I did in New York or Rome.

I learned that I never feel clean in humidity.

I learned that I knew nothing about Portuguese. And now I know how to say the necessities: yes, no, thank you, nothing, everything good, lets go, bathroom, good morning, good night, knife, spoon, fork, clock, table, cup, blender.

I learned that brazillians are a lot better at picking up English than I am at picking up Portuguese.

I learned as much as I awkwardly smile and laugh when I am uncomfortable.. I do it even more when I don’t know what people are saying to me.

I learned that flirting with someone who doesn’t speak the same language as you is even harder than flirting with someone that does.

I learned that as long as I don’t open my mouth I look like I could be from southern Brazil

I learned that even though driving in brazil is crazy, i felt more safe there than I do driving around Utah.

I learned that brazillians love their hatch back and the game slugbug (or fuska in brazil) is still fun there because the old VW beatles are everywhere.

I learned that my hair does crazy things when I just let it do what it wants, and I actually missed blow drying and straightening my hair.

I learned that in brazil its ok to be 25 and be married to a well off 55 year old, because better to marry someone that is that old that can take care of you, than a loser that is your own age.

I learned how much I really love the grid system in Utah, I was there for two week and never really got my bearings.

I learned that Americans really are kind of rude and think the world revolves around them. Also that nothing screams American tourist than wearing a 4th of july tshirt and carrying around a book about the sites.

I learned that you can actually learn a language from watching movies and listening to music. (I met a girl that spoke really great English and learned it all from movies and music)

I learned how great google translate is when you are trying to communicate with someone that doesn’t speak the same language as you.

I learned how fortunate I am to be living where I am to have the things I have, and to have the opportunities I have.


I’ve only been back home for one day and I already miss it. It makes me so sad to think that I will probably never see the people that I met again. I woke up this morning craving brazillian rolls, scrambled eggs, peach juice and fruit for breakfast... but ended up eating my usual America breakfast: hard boiled eggs, toast and carnations instant breakfast...

and now some pictures from the trip:



the beach at florianopolis
Rio De Janeiro at night
Scott and shad working hard ripping tiles off the walls
The Crew of VIDA
The cute kids we took school kits to
Anna trying to talk to some of the kids.... they loved us.
The botanical Gardens in Curitiba
Working hard at the school for the deaf/hard of hearing
The students with hearing disabilities and us.
Giving a lecture to the college students
The univesity we presented at
Chillin on copacobana beach
An art museum in Curitiba
The curitiba temple

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sar!! I absolutely loved reading this.. and the pictures are great. I think it's so cool that you got to go do that for two weeks. I miss you and cant wait to see you again.. whenever that might be :]

Unknown said...

You also learned how to dance forró!

And could you please say "blender" in Portuguese for me?

I love Brasil so much and I hope that you were able to see why. It really is a great place and I think they have something that we don't.

Mathisa said...

Hey Sarah!
I saw in facebook that you wrote something about Brazil, and came here to pick a little bit.
I'm really glad that you liked here and to know that we teach a little of our culture thath make you miss here is really a reward.

Thanks for compliment my english and for all the good things you've said about my cowntry =)