Wednesday, August 4, 2010

catch my thrift? Ok, thats cheesey....

Today I may or may not have had one of the most successful DI runs I've had in a LONG time.

I have so many projects that I want to make swirling around up in my head, but I dont have alot of TIME to make them... So for now they Will just stay in my head.

One of my ideas are for some sweet coasters (I really need one for my desk at work because the condensation from my water bottle gets everything all wet.) Anywho, today I didnt have anything going on after work, So i decided to make a DI run and see what I could find.... I will have to post pictures of the finished products when I am all done making them super duper awesome. But here are my purchases with project explanations attached:


#1 The Coasters: I know they are pretty sweet as is, but I have so much scrapbook paper, that I al going to mod podge these suckers with some of the cute patterned paper I have and paint the wood block. They are going to be super adorable and everyone at work is gonna love them because they are made out of Bobunny products!



#2 The old lady, but still super cute stilettos: These are way cute as it, but I am going to try and find some way to maybe dye the leather strap a dark brown so that they dont look quite so old ladyish.. I dont know what it is about beige, but it just screams senior citizen to me. However, if I cant find a way to dye it without ruining the shoe, I think I will make a cute navy blue pin stripped pencil skirt to wear them with, that way the beige wont look too bad.



#3 The notebooks: Ok artsy fartsy nerd alert.... I have been watching tutorials on youtube about book binding, and I want to learn SO bad! I found these books with awesomely cute patterns on the fronts of them So I am going to cut them apart and make one into a sketch book and one into a journal/notebook. If it works well, I am going to buy more books and make even more.. because i am a journal freak.

#4 The jewelry frame. So my old roommate liz made herself an earring holder last year when I was living next door to her and I was always super jealous of her... She said she'd make me one, but never did... So I am making myself one. I found this ugly old wooden frame which I decided to paper mache with pages from the books I tore apart. After that I will mod podge it to seal it, and i got some aluminum screening to glue in the hole for the earrings to go through. Then I am going to splurge and buy some of the cute vintage knobs they sell at anthropology to screw onto the bottom to hang necklaces and bracelets. Its gonna be super duper cute when I am done. Here are a couple photos of the start of it:


Part way done paper mache-ing

Letting it dry before sealing it

I will post pictures of everything when they are all done! Everytime I go on a DI spree I cant help but think: 'I hope whoever I marry likes the crafty side of me, because I think I am going to need a craft room someday'

6 comments:

Emily M. said...

oooooook! i have like fifty billion comments in my head. Number 1 being: on an older post about the sweatshirt you made-- i wanted to die! so cute! ok, but now for this post-- the jewelry thing is so cute! i have seen something similar and always wanted to try but way too lazy. Next, DO NOT change the shoes, or just give them to me because i am in love with them. i think they are fabulous! then, ehem-- where is the diaper bag? (i don't know why i've been doing the double dash lately-- just go with it). And lastly, whoever you marry will most likely NOT understand your craft thing, but if he's anything like dallin he will try so hard to pretend like he's interested, which really is all you can hope for anyway. as long as he's not opposed to it, you've got a winner. Super super DUPER cute stuff sarah. I cannot wait to see the final projects-- so do them quick okay? because i am impatient! ok, that is all.

ps. take me next time!

Loni Harris said...

Hey Sarah! I love your blog! And congrats on the new job, that is awesome!

I love this post! I am overwhelmed by your ambition and a bit jealous, I especially love the jewelry frame idea.

Misty said...

look at you, you crafty little minx!

Wes and Dani said...

Way cute ideas for everything! Although I think the shoes (with the right outfit) won't look old lady.

Also, I just wanted to mention that Hobby Lobby has a whole section of hooks and knobs for those kinds of projects, so maybe you should check there and see if you can get an Anthropologie knockoff. :) Oftentimes, HL has all their hooks and knobs 1/2 off and you can get each one for about 3 or 4 bucks.

Adam and Dev said...

SARAH! I'm doing great...how are you? I miss everyone too—it's going to be different not seeing everyone at school again like we are used to. But I hope you are doing well :)

I need to come shopping with you! You are so good at making things cute and revamping them. Also, the temple in BC is being built by the tabernacle if you know where that is. How is your new job going?

marinda said...

SAR!! First of all, you are my crafting hero. Seriously!! I love all your ideas and someday I aspire love to be crafty just like you. Also, I love anthropologie and am glad that you are splurging for knobs! What a cute idea!!! You're great. I love you.