Monday, January 30, 2012

January 9, 2012 letter

Hey All!
Well its official, I am in florida now.... and it is BEAUTIFUL here! (im sending a picture I took like 15 minutes ago) although we get some pretty funky smells coming off the gulf. It is a whole nother world down here. I feel like I started my mission over because things are done SO differently when you are not on a college campus, plus there are no chinese people (except for one less active lady that we met yesterday) we are in a MUCH bigger ward, and our area is WAY bigger. So like I said, its a different world.
 
The work here is considerably slower than the work that was happening in Troy. We have a total of 1 investigator and we tract all day long. They put sisters in this area like 4 months ago and their finding ideas from what I can gather were limited to tracting, so I presented all the Ideas that I have been bottling up for the last 4 months (because I couldnt use them in a campus area) to the ward mission leader this week, and hopefully we can start generating some investigators and do things other than tract. Dont get me wrong, I love tracting and getting doors slammed in my face as the next missionary, but if im gonna be here for a while, i'd rather be teaching and finding other ways.
 
We do alot of less active work here too. You could say its kind of like glorified visiting teaching because you get to be more bold when you ask them why they arent coming to church anymore if they still have a testimony. We have had a couple tell us they will try to be better, so we'll see.
 
I was worried about being in a car area and not walking as much as we were, but my companion sister greenwell (i'll tell ya more about her in a minute) likes to walk too, so we usually just park the car and walk around the area for hours and hours and hours. haha. not complaining, its really not bad its nice to be in a new area and to be experiencing new things. 
 
So sister greenwell is my new companion. She is great. She is on her last transfer, which i was worried about but she still works hard, so I dont have to carry her as much as I thought that I would have to. Back in August (the transfer I came in) they absorbed a piece of the Macon Georgia mission and the missionaries that were in that area... she was from that mission. Her president did things very differently there than President Jensen does here, so its been a struggle for her to adapt to the FTM way of doing things. But shes adjusted in the last couple transfers and is ok doing things the way president Jensen wants them done. She is pretty soft spoken, so I am again the dominant personality, which for anyone that knows me, knows that I am rarely the dominant personallity. She is from west weber and is really into running and health. She wants to be a natural doctor (so kind of like a hollistic doctor) So thats pretty cool. We get along well and work hard. I just gotta do my best to keep her from being trunky :).
 
Not much to report as far as stories go. It was really really hard leaving troy this week, especially the chinese friends I have made, and it is really crazy to be in a ward that functions normally instead of a branch with only a few members. I am excited to see what this new area has in store and to get things going here.
 
I love you all! Here is my new address if you chose to write me a letter (which I would be eternally grateful for if you did):
3913 Pisa Drive apt G-3
Panama City, FL 32405
 
Sister Webb

No comments: