Thursday, February 4, 2010

The ups and downs of life

Some days I feel like I am on top of the world. Things are going my ways. I am not super stressed with school work and life. I am feeling like i have alot of really good friends, I am feeling like I am in the right place spiritually, I have a high self confidence, I feel like I am on the right track with school and my future is looking good. In general life is great.

Then there are days like today, where I feel like I have made all the wrong decisions in life, and i am heading in a direction i really dont want to be going in. I know why i am feeling like this today, and i really just need to vent a little bit. This post will probably be a bit of a downer, so if you are not feeling like reading a whole bunch of negative talking... I wont be offended that you dont read it.

So today, a guest artist came to speak to the graphic design majors. We have seminars once a week and I have been going to them for the last 4 years of my life. This year, being an 'advanced' student (meaning I am in my senior year) we have the privileged of having these guest artists come and critique our portfolios and give us feedback on what they would have us change, were we interviewing with them. This week, Hilary Wolfe came. She is a Utah state graduate who has made it big. She was really awesome, and way funny. But after talking to her I feel so frustrated..... for the last three years of my life i have been working with 3 professors; Bob, Alan, and Dave.

They are all great and have all done really great things in the design field. But after meeting with Hilary today, I realized how much their differing opinions have really screwed me up. The over all critique of my portfolio from her today was that i am good at making things look good, but that the concepts are weak.... ok, i knew that! that is something that i have fought with bob over for 3 years..... I guess what i am getting at, is that i know that art us subjective but I have three teachers that dont agree on anything. For the first 2 years I had bob, who loves coming up with crazy ideas and loves clean design and likes to push the concept behind the design so far that the concept virtually is gone. Alan who will never tell you anything is good, who wont really tell you anything to change he will just say 'yeah so, i think this is pretty good. i mean its not great, but its pretty good.' or 'yeah thats really terrible, you probably shouldn't put that in' and then a guest lecture will come in and say something different and he will agree with them. I just dont get why he cant tell us what they are telling us before we show a professional our work. Everything Bob says that he likes, are the things that Alan says to take out and the thinks that Alan loves are the things that Bob has told me are not very good. I only took one class from Dave, but he didnt really give any restriction at all. there was no conceptualizing behind our sites and really i dont think he cared what it looked like as long as we learned how to code and we did it correctly. I feel like in the almost 4 years I have been persuing a graphic design degree I have gone from having complete confidence in myself and my work, to not knowing what good design even is anymore and only feeling good about a project after i get a good critique from my teachers. I feel like i have spent 4 years and $20,000 to get to the end and be so frustrated with myself and what I am doing, that its not even fun anymore.

Ok, on a more positive note. I really do love my major most days, but bottom line– Hilary Coming today was a real eye opener as to how much I really have to do this semester. But without knowing who to trust as far as advice on my portfolio goes, I guess I will just be winging it and hoping that my own judgment is good enough.

5 comments:

Emily M. said...

i love you! just remember that! i am so grateful you helped me yesterday by the way! and also- i am totally with you on the subjective grading! it is seriously confusing! in all honesty- they either grade you and completing the assigned elements and don't care what it looks like- OR they give you a bad grade because it's not their TASTE! soo lame! it makes it hard to know how to do better! I think you are doing great! i think you're way smart and you'll be successful! if you ever need anything from me- even though i am a novice- let me know! xoxo

Unknown said...

I never know how artish majors make it through school because I don't know how you can grade art stuff. Anyways I think you know what's what and I propose we make a deal. If I even figure out my crazy life, and start working somewhere coolish; you can come and be my graphic designer and make wonderful things. Then we can both stick it to the man!

fuzzball said...

Um, I couldn't agree more with you. BIG slap in the face to get me to wake up to the real design world. PLUS, I'm stuck in Logan for the next 4 years and will probably end up in a secretary job, or whatever else I can find, anyway. On the one hand I feel all siked to go for it, work hard and bury myself in design magazines and on the other hand I feel like sitting on my couch eating until I can't move.
Hm.
Well, I'm coming in to work today to work on another outstanding poster. Maybe I'll see you there...

Alyssa said...

AH!! I know exactly what you mean! Maybe not in the same way, but I totally do understand! It is frustrating!
You are an AMAZING person, and you can be whatever you want to be, and do whatever you want to do! Don't give up, whatever you do!
Maybe the time you will really find your nitch is when you are actually in the real world, and doing what YOUR ideas are... and what YOU are the best at! And hey, consulting someone like Hillary is always a great thing! Keep us posted on how it goes!!
Love ya girl!! You are the best!
Lyss

Samantha said...

at least you're not a pre-art major anymore :)