Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 20, 2012 letter

Thanks for the replies last week to my email. Haha, it is nice to hear your thoughts too. Thinking back to when I would get a forwarded email of a missionary, alot of the times if it wasnt a fun upbeat story or if it was really long, I would skim over it or not read it at all. So it was great to hear that people still do read my emails even when they are just things that I am learning as I go throughout my mission.
First off I would like to start with two things: 
#1- When I get to heaven I am going to ask my dearest heavenly father what the purpose of bed bugs, fleas, and mosquitoes was. I know that there had to be one, but I have yet to figure it out. Perhaps it goes back to the opposition in all things? taking the bad with the good. Who knows, but I am going to ask him. People in the south like their porches and like to be outside, so instead of inviting us in, they come out. So each time we teach a lesson I get like 1000 bites. Never my companions, just me.... haha. So when you find yourself complaining about the bugs in Utah, just know... it could be worse. I will allow you to make your attitude more positive at my expense :) 

#2- It is getting toasting down here! Me and my companion took a walk sunday after church to go contacting... we just talked to everyone we passed. after a good 3 miles and two hours later, we were back at the church building and I had a good old burn on the back of my neck and some sweet tan lines on my feet and where my watch is. the Summer is going to be fun fun fun in the sun!! 

Ok, now to a story and some learning application from this week: 
So I dont know if I mentioned it in any of my emails, but we got a phone call a couple weeks ago from the institute missionary couple telling us there is a less active that wants to come back to church and wants the sister missionaries to come and teach her. She grew up in the church and went inactive when she was 16. She is now 36 and has only been to church a handful of times in those 20 years. We called and called her and couldnt get ahold of her, but finally got in contact with her this week. We went to teach her and talk with her about her situation and what she needs to do to start coming back. The spirit was so strong as we talked with her and I could just feel our Heavenly father joy in her desires to come back. Its experiences like this that makes being on a mission worth every second. To find someone or bring someone back or testify to someone and have their testimony strengthened is so rewarding. 

Application from this experience?.... God gives us the capacity to do things that he calls us to do. It doesnt matter what it is, if he called you to do it, he will give you a way to get through it. (1 nephi 3:7) We are 56,000(ish) 19/21/elderly missionaries teaching these people and if it werent true I dont think people as young as most of us are, could carry the work. As I sat with this less active lady and taught her and listened to her experiences and prayed over and over... heavenly father, what do I do? what do I say to help her? I was given the things to say and tell her to express his love for her. I have delt with things on my mission that are way beyond my age, and maturity level to be dealing with, but because I am called of god He give me the strength to do it all. I dont think that anyone should be able to work 16 hour days 7 days a week taking on the load of so many peoples problems, and not only listen but have the capacity to help and show them the way to get through them. We shouldnt be able to do that. I can tell anyone that is reading this email that when he calls us to do something hard, he also prepares the way for us to accomplish it. 

Transfers is next week (what happened to the last 6 weeks? I dont know.) so if you are mailing me anything, send it to the mission office address. 

Love you all! 
Sister Webb

No comments: