Wednesday, October 24, 2012

September 10, 2012 letter


"Never check your religion at the door" -Elder Holland



TRANSFER DAY!!!! So here is the news: I knew that I would be getting a new companion this transfer because sister Fullmer is going home, so I havent really worried about what was going to happen at all -- which is strange for me because I usually try and figure out what is happening with the sisters since there is so few of us. But the last few days I have been getting the 'training' feelings. They always come. So we got the transfer email today and I was right. I'm having another baby girl! There are two sisters coming in, so Im not 100% positive who it is that I am training, but the zone leaders said they thought her name is sister Pulcifer (probably spelled wrong). I am really excited to train again. I have loved both my training experiences and I am sure that this one will be great too.

This week was SO GOOD! The best part of course was that we had a baptism yesterday. Alexandra was so ready! Its funny that no matter how hard you try, baptisms never run COMPLETELY smooth. you try and fix all problems you've run into in the past but new ones arise. So here is what happened:We were in the family history center Finalizing the program when we got a text from alexandra, she had slept through her alarm.... NO! this is her 3rd time at church so she HAD to be there to get baptized after church. We called and explained that to her and went to pick her up. she hurried super fast and made it only slightly late to the meeting. PHEW. then all the people that we asked to bring refreshments for afterwards forgot, so sister johnson being the saintly woman that she is, went and whipped us up a batch of brownies over at the institute building. She had to be dunked twice because her knees came up the first time, but it was great! there were SO many people that attended, the relief society room was packed and there were people that were standing on the sides. One of our other investigators (Alex) who is in the same situation that Alexandra was in (17 and parents not allowing her to be baptized) gave the talk on baptism. She did so good. Two of the guys in the ward (both getting their masters in musical performance one in piano and one in violin) played jesus once of humble birth and it was incredible! all in all it was really good. She will get the Holy ghost next week and she is really excited for it.

Here is another funny story from the week: There is this awesome guy named dan. He is the landlord to 3 sets of the missionaries and he calls their houses "the mormon compound'. he put a sign on the house that says "gods army LDS" and he LOVES missionaries. They have been working on him for the last 8 months or so and he is reading the BOM and loves it. He knows its true the only problem is his wife is hard core baptism and wants nothing to do with it and has threatened to leave him if he joins.... so hes just biding his time while her heart gets softened. SO last week he called us with a request. She had just broken her leg and had to have surgery so he wanted the sisters to come over and make her a meal and get to know her and try working our sisterly magic on her. We agreed. Then he called a couple days later to have us bring him the book of mormon on CD and this is how the conversation went: "Ok, So I have a story to tell you. Back when the mormon compound had just gotten started, The elders over there gave me a book of mormon. So I had been reading it and I left it by my recliner and the next day it was gone. My wife had taken it and hid it. She claims that she just "put it away" but she wont tell me where. So I got another one and I just leave it in the storage over at the compound and whenever I am over there I go read a couple chapters. Well Since my wife broke her ankle, I have been home almost all the time so I have been getting behind. 4th ward elders got me some book of mormon CD's and so i need you to get them from them sunday at church and then when you come tuesday, smuggle them to me so I can listen to them in my car" haha So we got them and when we got to his house and was leaving I whispered to him that we had them for him he said he felt like we were doing a drug deal behind his wifes back but he walked us outside took them and hid them under his shirt to take them back inside.

He has such a powerful testimony already, He was talking to his friend while we were at dinner because they are going on a cruise soon and he wants to go see some ruins. His friend asked him why and he told him that hes always wanted to walk where the savior walked but that the holy land is getting to dangerous, but that there is another place where the savior walked that isnt as dangerous and that is in the ruins of america. His friend looked confused so he started to teach the book of mormon to him in the best way Ive ever heard. he started out saying "we've all heard of noah and his ark... but not very many people know that noah is not the only one god told to build a boat" and then explained the book of mormon to him so simply and clearly. It was awesome! His friend didnt accept it, but I guess thats not the only time he has tried to help them to understand because when he walked us outside to give him his CD's he said "they... my wife and my friends... think I am crazy for believing, but I know its true. It really happened" Such a great guy! I cant wait for his wifes hard to soften and for him to be able to come to church and be baptized.

We got to watch the CES fireside by elder holland yesterday and he gave yet another powerful talk on not judging and being true diciples of christ. He practically screamed the subject of my email at us, but it is true. There is no reason to ever compromise our beliefs or our standards. We promise to be witnesses of christ at all times. I loved it. He has such a powerful way of speaking and hitting you right at the core.

Well. Those were really long stories. Its been a good week.
Love you all!
Sister Webb

No comments: