Wednesday, October 24, 2012

September 24, 2012 letter


"...Men are, that they might have joy." -Lehi


Hey all!
Its been a great week here in Tallahassee. I love coming to email monday mornings and seeing all the love and support I have from family and friends. Most of the time, when a missionary gets to the end of their mission, people stop reading their emails and stop writing them because they have gotten so use to them being gone, but I feel so grateful for such amazing people in my life that still write me encouraging notes to tell me that they read my email or how their week was. It doesnt matter where you are at in life, or on a mission, its always great to know that someone was thinking about you.... and that sparks a random tangent of thought, then I will tell you about my week:

I often think about all the missionaries I have been in contact with or have been companions with and how different we all are. One of the things I love about getting to know so many people here and having so many companions is the chance I get to see different peoples personalities and how they respond to situations and how each of us are needed in gods plan to be able to bless one another. They tell you that you are called to your area, mission, to be with your companion for a reason because there are people that only YOU can touch. I believe that is true. Each of us are given our personalities as gifts from God. Spiritual gifts are talked about in all three books of scripture (which always tells me that it is REALLY important when its in the D&C, Bible, and BOM) They are one of the very last things that Moroni teaches us (along with charity, and the importance of reading and praying about the book of mormon). It is taught to us by Paul in his epistle to the Corinthians, then again by Joseph Smith in the Doctrine and Covenants. In Verse 11-12 of section 46 it says " For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God. To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby." We are who we are to be able to bless each other. I am grateful for all times I have profited from the gifts that each of you have, and have shown me through letters and prayers. If you look to others and wish you could be what they are, stop because you are blessing others lives by being you.

Ok, so onto my week!
I love how open people are on campus. Its great to talk to so many people everyday about what they believe and how they came to believe it. Even if they arent actively searching for a church they are willing to come to church with you to see what its like at our services, or to read the book of mormon just to better understand what we believe, or even set up an appointment for us to teach they about the restoration and little by little they come to know the truth of what we are saying and they feel the spirit testify to them to know it is true. We have had some really great lessons this week. First is with a girl named Alicia, we have taught her twice and she is trying really hard to understand everything we are teaching her. She has read to Jacob and came with a list of questions for us to answer. She is awesome and really has a desire to know truth. We texted a guy, Andrew, that sister fullmer and I met about a month ago to see how his book of mormon reading is going (he said he didnt want to meet until he read the whole thing) and he said hes about 1/2 way. He said that his schedule is crazy this semester and it doesnt allow for much reading time but that he does it whenever he can. He is considering dropping a class to be able to read more, how awesome is that?! There is a girl that we met a couple weeks ago that we gave a book of mormon to, taught the first lesson and when we talked to her, she too was about 1/2 way through it. I cant wait for these incredible seeds to be harvested!

My favorite contact this week was a girl named Quxiung (pronounced chee-shawn, with a chinese accent) SHES FROM CHINA! haha I like to talk to all the chinese people on campus because it reminds me of the good old days of Troy where we would sit in the Sorrell Chapel for 6 hours and chinese investigator after chinese investigator would come to us and we would teach them. But the chinese people at FSU arent the same as the ones at troy... meaning they dont want to learn from us, but Quxiang was prepared for us! We were both discouraged after talking to people for like 4 hours with no response or interest and so we said a prayer and felt like we needed to go to the food court, so we did, and we almost missed her but being the chinese person lover that I am, saw her and turned to go talk to her. She is so cute! she has been here since summer semester and when we told her that we teach about God and Christ, she said "I have many question about Christ" and then she told us all about how in china there is no religion or belief in God but that she has always had many questions about him and about what her purpose is, but when she asked her mom her mom told her to stop thinking about it and that she didnt need to worry about silly things like that. So we told her that we have answers and that we can help her to know for herself that there is a god and what her purpose is here on earth and she was so excited! I have wanted to teach another chinese person since I left troy! I am SO EXCITED! :)

That was my week, hope everyone is doing great!
The church is true, and if your testimony is not as solid in that fact as you want it to be, work on it, because our testimony is the most important thing we can have! God is there to help with anything we need as we turn to him and rely on Jesus Christ we can not just believe but KNOW that this gospel is true.

Love Y'all!
Sister Webb

No comments: