Monday, December 10, 2012

November 5, 2012 letter

Oh hello November.


Hello again! 
This week was such a good one! I have so many stories to tell, I don't even know where to begin. I feel like there was something awesome every day... So I think I will take this one day by day. 

Monday: We had an INCREDIBLE lesson with Gerrit. Its been a great routine with him now, we finish our P-day then go teach him at 630 and then go to the ward FHE. He usually stays and we help him fellowship with the ward and such. We sat down in our lesson and started with a prayer and he immediately said " SO, I prayed this week, cause I know that you are going to ask me about it, (haha if you constantly follow-up, they finally start keeping commitments)... well, I guess I prayed kind of. I started out and I was like hey big man... but then I more so just started to think about everything rather than actually praying. I was thinking about our lessons and about the people here and how nice they are and how I want to be friends with them, and then I started to think about the book of Mormon and if it was true and I had this feeling come over me that I cant describe in any other way than it felt like I was on psychedelic drugs but it was completely natural and the walls weren't breathing. (we then had to ask what he meant when he said the walls weren't breathing because neither of us have been on drugs before and didnt have any idea what that meant). 15 months in and I have never heard the spirit described as being the same sensation as being on drugs. BUT he knew that it was his answer and that is the only way he could describe it to us. THEN we had an awesome lesson about being obedient and started to teach him the commandments and at the end of the lesson he said the closing prayer (which is something we've been trying to get him to do for like 6 weeks) and it was SO GOOD! So I wanted to leave extending the baptismal commitment up to sister pulsipher because its such a great experience and i want her to have it... So we didn't invite him last week (cause she didn't know I was waiting for her) but she is going to invite him today and I cant wait!!!!

Tuesday: We went on trade-offs Tuesday and I got to go back to 1st ward and be with sister Hirst again. I LOVE SISTER HIRST SO MUCH! I have never had a companion that I just get along with so well, the way we teach, our excitement level, everything is just so similar the work just gets done and its so great! We clicked right back into the way it was when I left laughing and having a good time and working at 1000 mph. we went home for lunch and a guy they had taught like a month ago that dropped off the face of the planet called and wanted to meet, so we went to meet with him right then and we had a great lesson on the book of Mormon with him. He lost his job and his house so he was living with friends and had gone through like 3 phones and was all over the place looking for work but he really wanted to keep meeting with them and he lost his book of Mormon at one of the houses that he was staying at so we gave him another one and it was great. Then later that night they had the 1st ward trunk or treat, so I got to see all the families from 1st ward that I miss so much and talk with them. They all did double takes when they said hi and realized that I wasn't suppose to be there. It was the perfect day to do trade offs in 1st ward. We got home and hit our pillows exhausted which was such a great feeling.

Wednesday: Halloween! There is a man named Dan, who is the landlord for a bunch of the elders and he LOVES missionaries. He wants to be a Mormon, but his hardcore baptist wife said she'd divorce him if he did. So he just keeps missionaries around all the time and keeps learning till she softens. He decided it would be a great proselyting tool for the sisters to come over and dress up as angels and pass out his candy for him (he lives in a really nice neighborhood and so all the kids in Tallahassee come there to trick or treat) He bought us all costumes and it was a lot of fun! He had us play heavenly music (aka mo-tab) and he had dry ice going to give it a 'cloud' effect. He invited a bunch of the elders over too for dinner which was alot of fun. There was a mom who asked him if we were from a church and he said yes and she asked which one and he said they're the Mormons and she just said "tell them thank you so much for being out and witnessing, we appreciate it so much" it was awesome! 

Friday: We have a new investigator who sister pulsipher and sister Goodman taught the first lesson to Tuesday while I was gone on trade offs and he was really excited about it all that he set up another appointment in the same week. We got to teach him about the plan of salvation and he said he'd come to church and he was just really excited about everything. 

Friday morning was really awesome too because I was trying really hard to be guided when we went out on campus. Sometimes its easy to forget to really try to follow promptings of where to go because there are so many people everywhere that you just start talking to people but we got on campus and started going and I felt like we needed to go to the stadium, so we talked to a couple people and the prompting came again and so we headed over to the stadium where there are a couple benches. I didn't see anyone when we came around the corner but then off to the side was this guy so we went and started to talk to him and he was really open and really interested in what we were saying. We asked him if he had ever heard about the church and he said that his uncle was a Mormon. so we talked for a bit and told him why the message of the restoration is so important and then gave him a book of Mormon and he said "I can have this?" we said yes and he got really excited and said "my brother was just telling me a couple days ago that I should look into getting a book of Mormon  So that was really cool. He goes to FAMU so we gave it to the Elders over there, but he seemed really legit! 

Sunday: Sunday was the best day. We had ridiculous goals on Sunday that we didn't have any idea how we were going to meet, but we prayed hard and things turned out so good. We started out on campus and talked to a bunch of people. We had a goal to give away 4 book of Mormons to meet our goal for the week and we were only on campus for like a hour and we had given away all 4 of the ones we had. (usually we give away 6-7 a week) then we went to coordination and we texted Jonathan to see if he was still planning to come to church and he said "yeah, and I am bringing a couple friends too" So he showed up with 2 friends and they all LOVED church. Sometimes I get a little worried on testimony sundays because of some of the things people say, and the first testimony started out "I have a testimony of the law of chastity" but it turned out to be really great and they loved that we did that. They stayed all 3 hours and we had a break the fast after that they stayed for and this ward is so great at fellowshipping that they made a whole bunch of friends and we are going to start to teach his two friends this week! 

It was just a really awesome week full of blessings and tender mercies and i am so grateful for it and to get the chance to be serving at this time. The lord is hastening his work and I get to be a part of it. I love the gospel so much and truly feel like our testimonies and being truly converted is one of the most important things we can have and strive for in this life. I love you all! Have a great week :) 

Sister Webb

No comments: