Friday, January 4, 2013

December 24, 2012 letter


Well. its Christmas eve and we are at a members house emailing, so this will be quick. I am going to be talking to my family tomorrow, but for all those that dont get to talk to me on the phone, I will send a quick Christmas message and tell yall a little about my week.
 
Last week sister Thomson went to the doctor because shes been having some health problems that make it so she cant really walk. Not walking makes it hard to do missionary work. She was gone for a day and sister Schoppman and I were able to do a little bit of finding, but other than that we haven't been able to tract at all because of whatever is going on with Sister Thomson. Since we just opened the area for sisters, if we cant find... we don't teach. I now more fully understand the need for balance in the work. We have tried to see SO many less actives this week its outa control. We have been sharing a Christmas message with most of them from the book of Mormon, so I would like to share a little bit of that with you all.
 
Most Christians at some point during the Christmas season read and ponder about the account of Christs birth as told in Luke 2. Year after year we think about what it must have been like to be Mary, having an angel appear to her and telling her that she will be the chosen mother of the Son of God. We think about Joseph, the wise men, the shepherds, and the inn keeper. We ponder on the true meaning of Christmas and what Jesus Christs birth means for each of us individually.
 
As Latter-day Saints, we have the blessing to have the book of Mormon to be another testament of Jesus Christ. Each prophet testifies of the coming of the Savior of the world and teaches us more about the atonement he will perform and how to access its powers in our lives.

Some of the chosen prophets were lucky enough to be able to see the birth of Jesus Christ. The account in 1 Nephi 11 is one of my favorites.
 
13 And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.

14 And it came to pass that I saw the heavens open; and an angel came down and stood before me; and he said unto me: Nephi, what beholdest thou?

15 And I said unto him: A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins.

16 And he said unto me: Knowest thou the condescension of God?

17 And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.

18 And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh.

19 And it came to pass that I beheld that she was carried away in the Spirit; and after she had been carried away in the Spirit for the space of a time the angel spake unto me, saying: Look!

20 And I looked and beheld the virgin again, bearing a child in her arms.

21 And the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father! Knowest thou the meaning of the tree which thy father saw?

22 And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things.

23 And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most joyous to the soul.
 
The angel that is teaching Nephi the interpretation of the vision of the tree of life uses the birth of Christ to help him to understand Gods love for each of us.

 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoeverbelieveth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
 
The true meaning of Christmas is just that, God loves us enough to send Jesus Christ to come down to earth, to pay the price for each of us to be able to return to live with our heavenly father. I know that He truly does love each of us. That he knows and cares about us individually. I know that the atonement is the single most important event that has ever occurred and that through that atonement we can find strength to keep going when we feel like we don't have anything left to give. We can find forgiveness for the things we do wrong and feel the peace and the hope that comes from that forgiveness. I hope that each of us can take the time to read of Christ and to rededicate ourselves to live his gospel a little more fully in the coming year.
 
Hope you all have a very merry Christmas!
Sister Webb

No comments: