Sunday, May 23, 2010

Spiral Jetty

A couple years ago in my art history class we learned about a piece of art that was located here in utah off the coast of the great salt lake (GSL). I was surprised when i learned about its location because I have lived in utah my whole life and never once heard about it.

It was created in 1970 by a man named Robert Smithson and it took him only 6 days to build. There was a drought that year and the water had pulled back, exposing part of the lake bottom where he decided to build it. It only lasted 3 years until the drought was over and the water rose again, covering his work. It stayed covered for THREE DECADES, the water levels fell again in 2004 and it was exposed for less than a year when once again the water covered it up. This spring It was revealed again for only the 3rd time since being built. (wikipidia gave me those facts, so they might not be 100% accurate)

Yesterday A couple of my friends and I decided to take the trek out west of Brigham city to the west side of the GSL to see the land sculpture, the Spiral Jetty.

The group: Amy, Jake, Tera, Me, Logan, Kenny
Logan Frolicking through the salty sea foam
Amy and I
Tera and I

me standing on the spiral
The spiral itself
me with the spiral jetty

1 comment:

Kayde said...

That is amazing I never knew that. How cool!